Sunday, January 24, 2010

Assorted doings

Well, I've decided that although I'm not actually going to write 'proper' reviews of every book I read, I should at least maybe keep a bit of a record. Yes, I have a record over at Goodreads, true, but part of being a completist is having one here too. I thought I might chuck a bit of a record of what I've seen at the cinema, too. I'm not planning on breaking my 2004 record of 50 trips to the cinema (not 50 movies, however. That effort included 3 rounds of "Return of the King."), but it would be nice to be able to look back at the end of the year and see them all listed in one place. Shan't be rating or reviewing - just recording.

Books read, but without their own post.

Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard Mystery, #1) Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Took me about half the book to warm to Lily (or really give a monkey's cuss about the story), but enjoyed it very much by the end.




Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Oh, this was good. More of a paranormal chick-lit than paranormal romance. And some truly funny lines. Even tho I guessed who the bad guy was (and I suck at doing that, so it must of been really obvious) I didn't work out the motive. I'll definitely be reading more from Molly Harper - just as soon as I've cleared a bit of the backlog of my TBR stack!

The Tent, the Bucket and Me The Tent, the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Really enjoyed this - I'm the same age as the author, so the pop-culture references from the '70's were particularly resonant. At times I wasn't quite sure if to laugh or cringe. Poor Emma. I'm so grateful my parents graduated to caravan holidays while I was still quite young!


Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly Mystery, #2) Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Enjoyed this every bit as much as the first in the series. Harris presents us with such wonderful characters.




Films

Seen so far this year:

The Time Traveler's Wife
Sherlock Holmes
Up in the Air
Avatar
It's Complicated

Wow, 5 so far, and not even the end of January. Perhaps I need a single post to stick them all in. Hmmm....

0 comments:

Post a Comment